I made a very ugly maquette of the Fox out of clay and an inexpensive stuffed puppy I purchased at a thrift store. Took some quick photos to post. It's good reference, mainly for how light affects the fur. The background and everything else is far from being done but it's getting there. I now have a one armed, creepy fox maquette in my studio? :)
Tuesday, December 29, 2009
Some quick photos for you(nothing is finished). This is my first time painting oil over acrylic. So far I like it. I decided to use gesso to create a texture on the border. I worked on the face today. Some of the color variations get lost in the close up pic. I still have a long way to go before I frame this piece. I can't wait to donate it to the breast cancer fundraiser. http://beautifulgrim.org/info.html
Friday, December 4, 2009
After several sketches, many thoughts and a few days of drawing, I finally arrived at this point. This is gessoed illustration board. I'm planning on painting in acrylic or doing an acrylic under painting and finishing it with oil. The original will be donated to an art auction fundraiser for breast cancer in 2010. http://beautifulgrim.org/info.html The women's hair will be turning into the universe. There will be a few elements added in the painting process and I'm planning on making minor adjustments as far as any weird tangencies. I didn't plan on the inside border. It just happened and it feels right. I'd like to complete this by January and I'm looking forward to framing it. I really want to raise awareness and money for the cause. I'm still thinking of a title :)
Saturday, November 21, 2009
The sketch on the left is approximately 5.5" x 8.5" and the final drawing is on a 22" x 28" canvas. I completed two sketches and decided to take my second one further. The final drawing went through several stages (Thanks for the critique Eric!) It works for me although, I wouldn't mind extending the canvas vertically for more breathing room if it was possible at this point.
Took some close ups just to share. I still have a lot of preliminary steps in my process. I will be getting back to oil painting with this piece. I haven't done a painting this big in a long time. I'm physically and mentally preparing myself for this one and I'm really looking forward to seeing it grow and bloom.
Sunday, November 15, 2009
I'm calling this one done, at least for now so I can move on to my next piece. I'm planning on taking another photo with a better camera in the future so I can submit this to Spectrum. One more for my portfolio and many more to complete.
Saturday, October 10, 2009
So it's 12:51 am & here's how I spent most of my Saturday. Still have to work on the background & the value structure of the birds to make them really stand out. I haven't even started on the Centaur. All I know, is that STP is performing tomorrow and I'm going to kick back & have a good time.
Wednesday, October 7, 2009
I had the pleasure of meeting James Gurney after he gave a very inspirational lecture and painting demo at C.C.A.D. It made me think about my artwork. He spoke about building maquettes that aided his process. To make a long story short, I made a rough mermaid tail out of some inexpensive play-doe, a kneaded eraser, and took some reference photos. It helped me in establishing the tail while painting. Taking the time out for steps in the beginning is truly worth it in the end. Thanks James!
Tuesday, October 6, 2009
Oil 12" x 24" This is a personal experimental piece. I decided to go with the flow. I didn't do any sketches before hand. Just me, paint, an empty canvas and time. Luckily, it turned out alright. Although it was an interesting, refreshing experience I don't recommend always skipping corners. Planning is a good thing and I've discovered it pays off in the end.